Saturday, March 19, 2005

How does diet help prevent cancer?

I believe in the value of overall good nutrition and that the careful use of supplements provides the most benefit in fighting cancer.

Cancer starts with a single cell that gets out of control. Cancer promoters, called carcinogens, include viruses and chemicals, as well as lifestyle and environmental factors such as air pollution, smoking, lack of exercise and poor diet. No single food or nutrient causes or prevents cancer. However, there are steps that will help reduce your risk for cancer.

Cancer fighting requires a plant-based diet.

Vegetables and fruits have a complex composition with a great many vitamins, minerals, fibers and other beneficial substances. Phytochemicals are plant chemicals that offer protection from cancer. Phytochemicals are substances that plants naturally produce to protect themselves against viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Some of these naturally occurring substances are cartenoids, flavonoids, indoles, isoflavones and protease inhibitors. Many different plant foods supply different kinds of protection.

Some of the primary phytochemicals are: Allyl sulfides found in onions and garlic. Ellagic acid found in strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries, walnuts and pecans. Flavonoids found in green tea, citrus fruit and red grapes. Lycopene found in tomatoes, tomato products and red grapefruit. Phytoestrogens found in soybeans and grains. Resveratrol found in peanuts.

Free radicals are the by-products of cells burning oxygen. Free radicals damage body cells and tissues, as well as DNA, which is your body's master plan for reproducing cells.

Antioxidant vitamins and selenium, a mineral, are effective in neutralizing free radicals. The antioxidant vitamins are Vitamin A, E and C.

Beta-carotene turns into Vitamin A in the body. This is supplied by dark green and deep orange fruits and vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, bok choy, broccoli, spinach and vegetable juices.

Vitamin C is contained in oranges, cantaloupe, strawberries, papaya, kiwi, red bell pepper, broccoli and brussel sprouts.

Vitamin E is found in wheat germ, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and vegetable oils.

Selenium is present in seafood, lean meats and whole grains.

Your diet is an important part of your defense against cancer. Eating the right kinds of food, everyday, can help you feel better and stay stronger.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Chipman. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for early symptoms of ovarian cancer related information and found your site. I have a early symptoms of ovarian cancer site. It covers everything about ovarian cancer concerns, warning signs, and ovarian cancer treatment. You'll find it very informative. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chipman. I was looking for related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a site. It covers everything about colon cancer prevention, warning signs, and the treatment for colon cancer. Check it out when you can :)

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Day Chipman,

Do you want to Prevent Skin cancer? I have been looking
around at blogs related to How does diet help prevent cancer? and I found your site.

Nationally, there are more new cases of Skin Cancer each year than the combined incidence of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers. Putting proven cancer protection and early detection techniques into action could eliminate at least 100,000 cancer cases and 60,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. each year. I have a site that I thought would help. So I wanted to leave you a quick message while I was here.

Take a look at this site you will be glad
you had did! The site deals with make money with DermaFend,Dermafend,and Prevent Skin cancerrelated information.

Chipman, I have some great stuff on my site that may be of assistance to you or some one you know.

Regards!


Donald

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Chipman. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for breast cancer awareness related information and found your site. I have a breast cancer awareness site. It covers everything about ovarian cancer concerns, warning signs, ovarian cancer treatment and breast cancer awareness.. You'll find it very informative. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Chipman, I was just browsing, looking for natural cancer supplements related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a natural cancer supplements site. It covers everything about colon cancer prevention, warning signs, and the treatment for colon cancer. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

4:38 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am Chipman, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about cancer information I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for cancer information related information and I have found your How does diet help prevent cancer?. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

9:21 AM  
Blogger Linky Love said...

How is life a year later?

SK
Drop by and give me a hug in my final weeks on earth at:
Metastatic Liver Cancer

10:32 AM  
Blogger sartaj faisal said...

I think diet can help in cancer.

Diet Plan
,
Walk In Clinic
,
Healthy Diet Foods
,
Health,Physique and Medicine
,
Pakistani Realestate
,
JObs opportunities for us
,
Travel In Pakistan

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home